Tax Relief Attorneys 101: Understanding How a Tax Relief Attorney Can Help You
Who may need a tax relief attorney?
Virtually anyone who files a tax return can benefit from the expertise of a tax relief attorney. However, there are specific types of people who are especially likely to benefit from hiring a tax attorney. Here is a look at some of the many types of people who seek the services of a tax relief attorney:
- People facing an upcoming tax audit
- Individuals or business owners facing tax evasion or other criminal charges
- People who need help interpreting correspondence from the IRS
- Individuals facing a large tax debt
- People starting a business who have tax-related questions
What are the requirements to become a tax relief attorney?
In order to become a tax attorney, an individual must possess Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree and pass the Bar Exam in the state(s) where they choose to practice law. Most tax attorneys have completed at least seven years of post-secondary education, which typically includes four years of undergraduate education and three years of law school. Continuing Legal Education (CLE) is also required by many states to ensure that tax attorneys remain competent in their roles.
Why should you contact a tax relief attorney?
Tax relief attorneys are able to provide services that extend far beyond those related to IRS issues. They will serve as your legal advocate while providing valuable guidance on accounting and finance matters. Here are four key reasons to contact a tax relief attorney:
1) Receive guidance on complicated tax laws
Navigating through the complexities of tax law can be a challenging process. And resolving complicated tax issues can take months or years without the expertise of a skilled professional tax attorney. An experienced tax relief attorney will help you understand regulations that are outlined by the court system and make sure that you adhere to relevant tax laws.
2) Increase your chances of reducing total tax due or associated penalties
Hiring a tax relief attorney will greatly boost the odds that your tax-related issues will be successfully resolved. In particular, you stand a greater chance of lowering your total tax burden and minimizing any penalties associated with your situation. A seasoned tax relief attorney will review your financial situation in detail and determine the best course of action for you to take.
3) Avoid the loss of your home or other property due to IRS problems
Depending on your situation, you might be at risk for losing your home or other personal property due to your past-due tax debts. Seeking the help of a tax relief attorney can help you minimize the chances that you will lose your home or other property.
4) Enjoy peace of mind knowing your attorney is acting on your behalf
Most people do not know the most effective channels of communication to use with the federal, state, and local government. Others may feel intimidated by the prospect of communicating with a government representative. In these cases, a tax relief attorney will provide a welcome sense of relief by communicating with government representatives on your behalf.
What are the pitfalls of not seeking help from an attorney?
Some people try to handle their own tax-related challenges in an effort to save money. But attempting to navigate the sea of changing IRS regulations without the guidance of a trained tax relief attorney can lead to a variety of pitfalls, including the following:
- Failure to comply with deadlines: A seasoned tax attorney can help ensure that you never incur penalties due to missed deadlines.
- Missed tax savings: A tax attorney can help you uncover tax savings that can put hundreds or thousands of dollars back in your pocket.
- Inaccurate paperwork: Incomplete or inaccurate IRS paperwork can leave you at increased risk for filing errors and inconsistencies.
- IRS penalties: Failure to properly comply with IRS guidelines can result in steep financial penalties and even prison time.
- Failure to understand complex language: An experienced tax attorney can help you make sense of complex language on tax documents.
What should you do if you think you may need tax relief help?
The single most important step to take if you think you could benefit from tax relief is to contact an accomplished tax relief attorney. By seeking the guidance of a trained professional with knowledge of the latest tax laws, you will avoid the pitfalls outlined above. Make sure that you do not delay seeking help, as delaying your request for help could result in larger penalties and missed deadlines.
Selecting the best tax relief attorney in Southern California
As described above, there are many reasons to hire a tax relief attorney – especially if you are facing a sizable tax debt or an upcoming audit. But not all tax relief attorneys are created equal. It is up to you to select an accomplished lawyer who will be responsive to your needs and guide you through each step of the tax relief process until your tax debts are successfully resolved.
We invite you to contact us at Civic Tax Relief to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our experienced tax relief attorneys. We will respond to your call right away and promise never to waste your time. Then, we will take the time to review your tax history and determine how we can help you with your tax settlement, tax resolution, and any other tax-related problems you may have. We look forward to serving as your trusted resource for all of your tax-related concerns.